Sen. Kamala Harris Awed by ‘Courage’ of Woman Who Had Abortion

CNS News | 7/5/2019 | Staff
jollyjetta (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/gettyimages-1159263438.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - At a rally Wednesday in Des Moines, Iowa, sponsored by NARAL Pro-Choice America, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) told a woman who shared her story about getting an abortion that she was in “awe” of her courage.

“I just first, I’m in awe of your courage to speak, really, to speak in this venue with all who are here and with such grace to tell your story that is a very personal story and is a story that many women in America can tell, but you have a special ability to have the confidence and the courage to speak it in a room like this, and those truths need to be heard by everyone, so I first just want to thank you for that. I really do,” Harris said.

Woman - Iowa - Democrat - Katie - Harris

The woman, who identified herself as an undecided Iowa Democrat named Katie, said she was impressed with Harris’ performance in the Democratic presidential debate and that she was “very happy to be in a room with so many pro-choice Iowans.”

She said she had been “an active supporter of NARAL for the past 10 years.”

Years - Pregnancy - College - Woman - Rights

“About 10 years ago, I found myself facing an unplanned pregnancy” in college, the woman said. “To be totally honest, I’d never really thought too much about reproductive rights, because I never thought I would need them, but I do distinctly remember the moment I found out I was pregnant. I had two immediate thoughts before the denial and all those feelings that come later. I remember thinking, I need to have an abortion, and oh, I live in Iowa.”

“I knew that abortion was a controversial subject, but up until that point, I’d never really considered how the controversy would impact the whole trajectory of my life,” she said.

Woman - Abortion - Iowa

The woman talked about Googling whether abortion was legal in Iowa...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!