American Birthday Blues

Cranach | 7/4/2019 | Staff
vegdancer18 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/07/sparkler-839806_1280.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/07/sparkler-839806_1280-768x512.jpg

Birthdays are wonderful times of celebration and appreciation, but when you get to a certain age–as I am getting–one’s birthday becomes also a more sobering occasion, a time to contemplate one’s mortality. Happy birthday to me, but I can feel myself fading and wonder how many birthdays I have left. Can the same be said of America’s birthday? On this 243rd birthday of America’s independence, is our nation showing its age and losing its vitality?

The Fourth of July celebrates the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which sets forth the assumptions of the American experiment:

Truths - Men - Creator - Rights - Life

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

But surely none of these truths are “self-evident” anymore. Much of the public and our cultural elite denies that we have a Creator who created us, much less created us equal and endowed us with rights. They might believe in “rights,” but these are bestowed by the state, which can therefore take them away. Rights are thus not “unalienable” (meaning cannot be taken away since they have a transcendent foundation in God) but are alienable.

Rights - Document - Today - Right - Life

Consider too where we stand with those rights listed in the document we celebrate today: The Right to Life is repudiated by our nation’s abortion laws. Our Right to Liberty, as defined by our other foundational document, is also under attack, with significant and powerful segments of our population opposing each provision of the Bill of Rights: The free exercise of religion? Not if that includes disapproval of homosexuality and transgenderism. Freedom of Speech? Not on university campuses. Freedom of the Press? Except when it departs from the party line. Freedom of Assembly? Except in front of abortion...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......
Tagged: