Canadian startup Sweet Reason as sparkling spin on CBD beverages

TechCrunch | 7/2/2019 | Staff
KimmyPoo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2019-07-02-at-9.26.53-AM.png?w=764

Sweet Reason chief executive Hilary McCain says she launched her sparkling CBD-infused water brand because of her own obsession with cannabis beverages.

That obsession, coupled with the lax regulatory environment in Canada where marijuana is already legalized, led the former Boston Consulting Group consultant and longtime food industry insider to launch the sparkling water company.

Legalization - Cannabis - Horizon - Lot - Mentors

“The recreational legalization of cannabis was on the horizon. A lot of my mentors and advisers from the food industry were switching over to cannabis… and I believe beverage is the most social and healthiest way to consume cannabis.”

Sweet Reason describes its product as a “premium sparkling water infused with 7mg of… unique form of CO2-extracted CBD.” Its CBD is water-soluble and the company’s drinks contain no sugar, sweeteners, sodium, carbs, or artificial ingredients. The company sources its cannabinoid extract from a hemp grower in Colorado and uses a co-packing facility for bottling and distribution.

McCain - Beverage - Day - Stimulant - Something

McCain contends that the beverage is meant to be enjoyed throughout the day as a mild stimulant compared to something like a Red Bull or a soda. But, reader, I’m one bottle into the day already and let me tell you, I’m definitely not going to be able to drink a second one if I want to get anything done.

In January 2018, McCain started the company with a personal investment of a couple hundred thousand dollars. The money went into market research, brand development and the creation of her CBD-infused concoctions. And when getting a new consumer business off the ground, especially one operating in the regulatory gray area of cannabis and marijuana, the first thing to do is understand the regulatory environment, says McCain.

End - Year - Market - Changes - Canada

By the end of the year, she was ready to go to market, but regulatory changes in Canada meant that her home country wouldn’t be the first port of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
This space intentionally left blank