How Absent Fathers Are at the Core of Far-Right Drama ‘Let There Be Light’

Variety | 6/28/2019 | Will Tizard
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/let-there-be-light.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“Let There Be Light,” a contender for the Crystal Globe at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival, takes on troubling issues confronting Eastern Europe as a Slovak father, pushed to work abroad in the hopes of buying his family a better life, discovers his absence has allowed his eldest son to drift into a dangerous political fringe. Inspired by current events, writer/director Marko Škop takes on proto-fascist youth brigades and small-town intolerance in his sophomore feature. The film has its world premiere on Sunday.

How did the rise of so-called youth “Guard” groups factor into your thinking about what could drive a family apart?

Core - Film - Theme - Father - Character

For me the core of the film is the theme of a “missing father.” For the main character, Milan, it started with his father and his cold upbringing. He wants to be different: He would like to give his own children much more. In order to provide for them he works as an economic migrant in Germany. He loves them but he is not present. The eldest son becomes a part of a youth paramilitary group. Their existence in Slovakia is a reality quite often covered in newspapers. Open far-right ideological indoctrination of young people is a real and discussed question in Slovakia.

Tim Robbins Says 'Shawshank Redemption' Was the 'Best Script I've Ever Read'

Vigilante - Problem - Slovakia - Climate - Eastern

How serious is the vigilante problem in Slovakia and is it getting worse in the current climate of right-wing Eastern Europe leaders?

Society in the whole of Western civilization is very polarized nowadays and my impression is that it is getting worse and worse – also because these voices influence each other across borders in a global environment. Everybody hears strong statements from Trump, Farage and other influential conservative politicians. In Slovakia the extreme party of Kotleba ended in third place in the recent elections to the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!