Jennifer Kent Finds The LGBTQ Community’s Embrace Of ‘The Babadook’ “Perplexing” But Says It’s “Quite Beautiful”

The Playlist | 6/26/2019 | Charles Barfield
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Jennifer-Kent-Babadook-Pride.jpeg

The 2014 horror film “The Babadook” is often regarded as one of the best movies the genre has to offer from the last 5 years. And when it was released, people fell in love with the new horror figure that filmmaker Jennifer Kent introduced. However, over the last few years, the love of “The Babadook” has taken on a new meaning, as the LGBTQ community has adopted the film, and the monster, as a gay icon. And for the filmmaker behind it all, she’s still trying to figure it out.

Speaking to EW, while promoting her newest film “The Nightingale,” Kent was asked about the trend of “The Babdook” becoming an iconic symbol for the LGBTQ community. And frankly, she’s perplexed, but happy, by the news.

Kent - Idea

“I’m still trying to work that one out… It’s quite perplexing,” Kent said. “I feel it’s really quite beautiful, but I still have no idea why.”

She added, “I guess he’s an outsider of sorts. It’s funny. It’s charming, I think,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!