House Oversight Committee Subpoenas Kellyanne Conway Over Alleged Hatch Act Violations

CNS News | 6/26/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/kellyanne-mark_wilson.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - In a 25-16 party-line vote, the House Oversight and Reform Committee voted on Wednesday to subpoena Kellyanne Conway, a top adviser to President Donald Trump, to come before the committee and explain her alleged violations of the Hatch Act.

A federal agency, the Office of Special Counsel (OSC), on June 13 recommended that President Trump fire Conway for repeatedly violating and showing disregard for the law that bars federal employees from using their official position to influence the outcome of an election -- in this case, the December 2017 special election in Alabama for U.S. Senate.

Conway - Television - Interviews - Candidates - Sen

Conway, in two television interviews, advocated for and against specific candidates running to replace Sen. Jeff Sessions, who had been named to serve as President Trump's attorney general.

The OSC also noted that during a media interview on May 29, 2019, Conway "downplayed the significance of the law as applied to her. When asked about the Hatch Act, she stated, ‘If you’re trying to silence me through the Hatch Act, it’s not going to work,’ and ‘Let me know when the jail sentence starts.’”

Official - Special - Counsel - Ms - Conway

According to the Official of Special Counsel: “Ms. Conway’s violations, if left unpunished, would send a message to all federal employees that they need not abide by the Hatch Act’s restrictions. Her actions thus erode the principal foundation of our democratic system—the rule of law.”

At Wednesday's hearing, Kerner said Conway left him with no choice but to recommend her removal:

Outset - Respect - Miss - Conway - First

I want to make it very clear at the outset that with respect to Miss Conway's First Amendment rights, we in no way wish to assist anyone in silencing her speech. The president has stated publicly that he considers her an effective proponent of his policies, and we have no intent of depriving the president of that assistance.

That said, over the past one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .