Golden Horse Organizers Set Clashing Date With China’s Golden Rooster Awards

Variety | 6/26/2019 | Rebecca Davis
ali11 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/xu-zheng-rexfeatures_9982743dg-res.jpg?crop=0px,69px,1854px,1044px&resize=700,393

The prestigious Golden Horse Awards announced Wednesday that it will hold its annual ceremony in Taiwan on the same day this year as China’s Communist-backed Golden Rooster Awards – which virtually assures that no major mainland Chinese talent will attend the event known as Asia’s Oscars on November 23.

Hong Kong director Johnnie To will act as chairman of the Golden Horse jury, the festival said. He has been nominated eight times for the best director award and won it on three occasions: in 2000 for “The Mission,” 2004 for “Breaking News” and 2012 for “Life Without Principle.”

Director - Ang - Lee - Head - Year

He thanked director Ang Lee, head of last year’s executive committee, for the invitation, saying: “The Golden Horse Awards are the most prestigious awards in the Chinese-language cinema and a very important recognition that my films have received. Before I’m awarded another prize, I feel honored to have this chance to offer my services.”

China Box Office: 'Toy Story 4' Beaten by Country's First Screenings of Miyazaki's 'Spirited Away'

Clout - Awards - Works - Chinese-language - Cinema

But the clout of the pan-Asian awards for the best works of Chinese-language cinema may diminish without China’s involvement.

The mainland’s participation in the awards was thrown into question last year after a winner set off a political firestorm by expressing strong pro-Taiwanese independence views in her acceptance speech. “I really hope that, one day, our country can be treated as a truly independent entity,” director Fu Yue said onstage as she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!