A reader struggles with scruples about remote material cooperation with evil

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 6/26/2019 | Staff
roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-hot-air-balloons.jpg

The reader writes:

I’m sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could shed some more light on the matter boycotting businesses and enterprises that in some way support something evil – and yup, that’s spurred by the recent developments in Georgia. I tried to find a conclusion on my own and, well, ended in a pretty dark place.

Share - Catholics - SDG - Jimmy - Akin

I’ve read a fair share of respectable Catholics (you, SDG, Jimmy Akin, Dave Armstrong, Fr Angel Sotelo, Domenico Bettinelli, to name a few) and all of them pretty much articulated (in various articles/posts, not necessarily on the current issue, but all still pretty applicable) that what a business owner/artist does with the money you pay them for any kind of service/product/performance that is in and of itself neutral/good (whether it’s a streaming subscription, software, food, etc.) is beyond you and you’re not responsible for that – at worst, that was remote material cooperation with evil and that’s not a sin. Okay. There was Church teaching to back it up. Sound stuff. Should make things clear. As long as you’re not, I don’t know, buying the product because the owner, CEO, management board or whoever else important support PP, or *actually* giving money to PP, you should stop worrying. And yet, and yet, doubts persisted and got progressively worse, because why the heck not.

I recently talked with a somebody who said he was cancelling Netflix because of the whole Georgia thing. I gave him pretty much all the above arguments why that wasn’t an *absolute must* and a few more.

Argument - Thessalonians - Form - Evil - Conversation

His main argument was 1 Thessalonians 5:22: “Abstain from every form of evil.” The conversation was civil, in the end we pretty much agreed to disagree and went on with our lives.

Except I didn’t. Somehow after that, I went full Chidi Anagonye, analyzing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!