Is God Angry at Me When I Sin?

Desiring God | 6/24/2019 | John Piper
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/is-god-angry-at-me-when-i-sin-pkkqdiub-en/landscape/is-god-angry-at-me-when-i-sin-pkkqdiub-de120814ae509aba9ff76b081eaafdbd.jpg?ts=1561060256&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

As you can imagine, we get a lot of questions about what it means to live as a child of God. We go from being a rebel against the King to becoming a child of the King. So how does God’s disposition toward us change? And specifically, is God angry at his children when they sin? It’s a question from a listener named Kathleen.

“Pastor John, hello! As a born-again believer, is God still angry at me when I sin? I believe God’s wrath is real, and I have embraced Christ’s propitiation for my sins. But I struggle to understand the difference between God’s wrath and anger over my sin before and after my justification. I personally hate my own sin and want to be done with it all. But for now, does Christ’s death for my sins and subsequent propitiation mean that God is never angry at me when I sin? Or just that his final wrath on me was satisfied? What is God’s affectional disposition toward me, in Christ, when I stumble and sin in my life right now?”

Sentence - Disposition - God - Children - Age

It might be possible to put in a sentence or two the complex affectional disposition of God toward his children in this age. But it seems to me that such an effort does less than what the Scriptures actually do when we read them regarding God’s disposition toward us.

It gives some help to try to synthesize those words; I do this all the time. That’s what preaching and theology is: the effort to make sense out of all the passages of the Bible. But when it comes down to it early in the morning, late at night, when we need some word of truth and firmness and helpfulness and encouragement, it isn’t so much the syntheses that have power in our...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: