BET Awards: ‘Being Pulled Over By Police Like Playing Russian Roulette’

NewsBusters | 6/24/2019 | Staff
Omnista (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/2019_bet_awards_-_09_42_36_pm.jpg

The 2019 BET Awards were held on Sunday night, hosted by actress Regina Hall. Although Hall made a big deal hailing from D.C., the awards were mostly non-politically, with a few exceptions.

One marginal example came when "The Central Park Five," redubbed "The Exonerated Five" after renewed attention brought by the Netflix Series When They See Us, got a standing ovation as they introduced a performance by H.E.R. of her politically-tinged song "Lord Is Coming."

Moment - Presentation - Trailer - Universal - Film

But a bigger moment came with the presentation of a trailer for the upcoming Universal film about a police shooting. Introducing the first look at Queen & Slim were screenwriter Lena Waithe (Master of None, Ready Player One), first-time director Melina Matsoukas (a music video director for stars like Rihanna and Beyoncé) and actress Jodie Turner-Smith. Waithe said she wanted the film to "reflect the times," which apparently means "a world where being pulled over by the police is like playing Russian roulette."

Lena Waithe: Nina Simone once said, ‘It is an artist’s duty to reflect the times.’ I couldn’t agree more. When it came time to write my first feature, I wanted to explore a world where being pulled over by the police is like playing Russian roulette and your only weapon against injustice is your ability to never let go of who you are. I knew I needed other rebellious artists to help me tell this story and I couldn’t think of a more fitting one than the visionary director Melina Matsoukas.

Melina - Matsoukas - Film - Life - Story

Melina Matsoukas: Bringing this film to life was challenging, it was a story I knew was necessary to tell. It’s a story of resistance, a story in which we are never victims and most importantly, a story about the strength of black love. We set out to create a film...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!