Keeping the Gospel at the Center of VBS Season

ChurchLeaders | 6/23/2019 | Staff
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
VBS season is like the Super Bowl of children’s ministry. Your church may call it something different now – Kids Camp or Adventure Week or something similar. But many of us have something similar – one week that is highly intensive, all-hands on deck, and requires much preparation, many volunteers, and many hours. It is one of the biggest, and hardest, weeks of the year. Yes, there’s plenty of fun and there are lots of God moments, but I’ve wondered how many kidmin leaders or volunteers think at some point during the week, “That’s it, I’m quitting!”

How do we keep the gospel at the center of VBS season?

Way - Colossians

1. Find a way to refocus on the why. I love Colossians 1:28-29.

We proclaim him, warning and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ.I labor for this, striving with his strength that works powerfully in me.

Purpose - VBS - Kids - Jesus - Him

The purpose of VBS is to help kids come to know Jesus and to help them grow closer to Him. The gospel is the why. Post those verses (or others that speak to you) on your mirror, on your steering wheel, on your desk, on the lock screen on your phone – anywhere that you will see it that can remind you. You will need to point yourself back to truth when that volunteer drops out at the last minute or the box of glow sticks goes missing.

As you remind yourself that the gospel is most important, make sure that is reflected in every aspect of your VBS season. As you plan, ask yourself and your team this: what are we doing to make sure the gospel is the most memorable part? The cool stage and fun games and over-the-top experiences will be fun. But how can you communicate that Jesus...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet