This Week In Trailers: Jay Myself, Phil, Metal Heart, Share, Gwen

/Film | 6/22/2019 | Christopher Stipp
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/trailer-greenband-newest.jpg

Trailers are an under-appreciated art form insofar that many times they’re seen as vehicles for showing footage, explaining films away, or showing their hand about what moviegoers can expect. Foreign, domestic, independent, big budget: What better way to hone your skills as a thoughtful moviegoer than by deconstructing these little pieces of advertising?

This week, we catch up with that guy from Talk Soup, witness the living quarters of an artist, go back to Wales a couple of centuries to see a girl playing the part of man of the house, get reminded that teens are always up to no good, and come of age in Ireland.

Director - Stephen - Wilkes - Headwinds - Trailer

Director Stephen Wilkes absolutely has some headwinds to overcome with this trailer.

JAY MYSELF documents the monumental move of renowned photographer and artist, Jay Maisel, who, in February 2015 after forty-eight years, begrudgingly sold his home—the 36,000 square-foot, 100-year-old landmark building in Manhattan known simply as “The Bank.” Through the intimate lens of filmmaker and Jay’s protégé, noted artist and photographer Stephen Wilkes, the viewer is taken on a remarkable journey through Jay’s life as an artist, mentor, and man; a man grappling with time, life, change, and the end of an era in New York City.

Burn - Anything - Man - Artist - Space

This is a slow burn. There isn’t really anything explosive or evocative about it. It’s about this one man, this artist, and how this very specific space allowed him to create. Either ou’re disposed to this kind of narrative, as Wilkes was tickled enough to make a full-length documentary on the man, or you’re moving on to something with a quicker pace. For me, this is the cinematic equivalent of red wine; mellowing, complex, and soothing.

Director William McGregor is here to make a statement. A period piece that carries with it some themes that seem starkly resonant, even today,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!