‘Child’s Play’ Director Lars Klevberg on Amblin, Chucky, and His Love for ‘Road to Perdition’ [Interview]

/Film | 6/21/2019 | Jack Giroux
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/childs-play-behind-the-scenes-video.jpg

“E.T. on acid” is how director Lars Klevberg initially imagined his Child’s Play remake. Klevberg, known for his short film Polaroid and its unreleased feature-length adaptation, wanted to bring a healthy dose of Spielberg and Amblin to his horror remake. The influence shows, most noticeably when Andy (Gabriel Bateman) and Chucky (voiced by Mark Hamill) are on their own.

Klevberg is probably more referential of Spielberg than the entirety of the original Chucky franchise. He didn’t want to make another horror remake that coasts by on nostalgia, which there’s not much of in Child’s Play. As Klevberg told us, he wanted to make his own Chucky. In addition to the challenges of filming the iconic character in action, the director told us about the movie’s Amblin references, his love of Sam Mendes’ Road to Perdition, and more.

Instagram - Movies - Influence - Road - Perdition

You posted on Instagram five movies that influence you and listed Road to Perdition. Was that at all an influence for Child’s Play?

I think that was, you know, I think you misinterpreted that a little because that was a series for one perfect shot. That for me, personally, that just in general influences my way of working. I never specifically watched that movie or brought it in [for this]. That probably just influenced me in general as a director, a storyteller. Road to Perdition is one of my favorite movies. It’s just a remarkable movie and, when you make movies yourself and you’re a director making a movie, you have ideas, a specific way of telling a story.

Idea - Studio - Producers - Things

Then you shoot it and you edit it and you see that, okay, it didn’t work or you have to defend your idea to the studio or the producers, then you experience all those things and it doesn’t need to be defended, you see it yourself, why doesn’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?