Northzone’s Paul Murphy goes deep on the next era of gaming

TechCrunch | 6/21/2019 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/paul-murphy-northzone.png?w=753

As the gaming market continues to boom, billions of dollars are being invested in new games and new streaming platforms vying to own a piece of the action. Most of the value is accruing to the large incumbents in a space, however, and the entrance of Google and other big tech companies makes it difficult to identify where there are compelling opportunities for entrepreneurs to build new empires.

TechCrunch media analyst Eric Peckham recently sat down with Paul Murphy, Partner at European venture firm Northzone, to discuss Paul’s view of the market and where he is focusing his dollars. Below is the transcript of the conversation (edited for length and clarity):

Eric - Peckham - Hit - Game - Dots

Eric Peckham: You co-founded the hit mobile game Dots before moving to London and joining Northzone last year. Are you still bullish on investment opportunities in mobile gaming or do you think the market has changed?

Paul Murphy: I’m bullish on mobile gaming–the market is bigger than it has ever been. There’s a whole generation of people that have been trained to play games on mobile phones. So those are things that are very positive.

Challenge - Tide - Moment - Winners - Someone

The challenge is you don’t really have a rising tide moment anymore. The winners have won. And so it’s very, very difficult for someone to enter with new content and build a business that’s as big as Supercell or King, regardless of how good their content is. So while the prize for winning in mobile gaming content big, the likelihood is smaller.

Where I’m spending most of my time is not on content, it’s on components within mobile gaming. We’re looking at infrastructure: different platforms that enable mobile gaming, like Bunch which we invested in.

Product - Video - Audio - Top - Games

Their product allows you to do live video and audio on top of mobile games. So we don’t have to take any content risk. We’re...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!