New Scientist: The Catholic Church Needs to “Up its game” on their Climate Gospel

Climate Depot | 6/21/2019 | Admin
cindy95240 (Posted by) Level 3
New Scientist is dissatisfied with the climate gospel being preached by the Catholic Church.

In 2015, Pope Francis issued an encyclical on the environment. For those (like me) unfamiliar with Vatican terminology, that is a bit like a memo from head office informing regional managers about the boss’s latest thinking. It isn’t an instruction, but is guidance that you are well advised to heed.

Reasons - Scepticism - Thing - Nothing - Birth

However, there are reasons to regard the encyclical with scepticism. For one thing, it said nothing about birth control, which the church opposes, and hence the topic of my last column, population growth. The encyclical also seems to have been quickly forgotten. In Rome, I asked a young, devout theology student from the Philippines whether it had made an impact on the church’s teachings or the attitudes of its followers. Not a bit, he said.

There is a more fundamental reason to be suspicious. According to Lori Beaman, professor of religious diversity and social change at the University of Ottawa in Canada, the encyclical remains steeped in the Christian tradition of stewardship, which holds...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Climate Depot
Wake Up To Breaking News!