Lost in a Meaningless Universe

Cranach | 6/20/2019 | Staff
Celtics2212 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/06/worthlessness-927079_1280.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/06/worthlessness-927079_1280-768x733.jpg

We Christians often speak of non-believers as “lost.” That is no metaphor today. For all of the technology that makes our lives easier and more pleasant, many of us–non-believers but probably some believers as well–feel that their lives and existence itself are meaningless.

I came across a fascinating description and analysis of today’s angst-ridden mindset. It’s at what seems to be a self-help site, with its authors going just by their first names. (I know, I know.) But it’s worth reading in its entirety. People who feel this way are exactly the ones Christians can reach out to with the Gospel and the rest of Christian doctrine. I’ll give you an excerpt and then say some more about what the article says.

Kevin - Grace - Thomas - Origin - Modern

From Kevin, Grace, & Thomas, The Origin of Modern Meaninglessness: An existential archaeology dig: where our angst comes from these days, why it’s here and what we can do about it:

Life is good these days, depending on how you define and measure it.

Society

Some say we’re living in the best society that’s ever existed.

We point to smart phones, air-conditioning, hands-free paper-towel dispensers and other conveniences to confirm that we have it really, really good now – or at least better we used to. The presumption is that these kinds of things, in the final analysis, really matter.

Measures - Addictions - Suicides - Anxiety - Depression

Yet different measures speak otherwise. Addictions are up.1 Suicides are up.2 Anxiety is up.3 Depression is up.4 Rates of happiness are down.5Antianxiety and antidepressant medications are up.6 Pills that claim to help you do things like sleep7 and have sex8 and pay attention9 are up. Deaths from alcohol, drugs and suicide are now at highest level since record-keeping began.10 There appears to be an epidemic of loneliness,11 a sexual recession,12 a breakdown of trust.13 We could go on.

But statistics fail to capture something profoundly personal...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!