Pros and Cons of the Pro-Life Issue– Part One

The Bible and Culture | 6/20/2019 | Staff
vpp1219 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/55/2019/06/74KHypgY-768x1024.jpg

Pictured above— Mary asking— How could I be pregnant?

I’m under no illusions that these blog posts will settle anything in the ongoing issues surrounding abortion but since a challenge to Roe vs. Wade appears likely to be on the horizon, a few reflections from a Christian viewpoint (notice I do not say THE Christian viewpoint) will not go amiss here.

Issue - Christians - Culture - Policy - Americans

Firstly, it is a debatable issue whether Christians, in an increasingly less Christian culture, should be dictating public policy for all Americans. Perhaps a little walk down memory lane to the era of Prohibition of alcohol and its reversal would provide a timely reminder. I personally think that Christians should bear witness, and try and persuade others of what they believe to be true about these complex life issues, but at the end of the day, if by a considerable margin Americans don’t believe abortions should be banned or limited just to the case of a mother’s life being in danger, then that must be taken seriously in a democracy like we have in the U.S. These recent ‘heartbeat’ bills are meant to provide ammunition to challenge Roe vs. Wade in the Supreme Court. And there is a problem already there— namely judges are not supposed to be liberal or conservative. They are supposed to be non-partisan and evaluate cases on the basis of their merits and whether they are in accord with the Constitution and settled law . But in our polarized society we have managed to even polarize what was supposed to be a non-partisan part of our government, the judiciary— and it’s frankly wrong. The Founding Fathers would not be please I don’t think.

Secondly, I hold the following truth as something that should be self-evident, but isn’t apparently. Namely, someone’s right to life always trumps someone else’s right...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't believe everything you think...
Tagged: