Murphy threatens Democrats who refuse to send him the millionaires tax he wants

nj.com | 6/19/2019 | Staff
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.nj.com/resizer/i8JB-gqIGy35Slzdy5KVBELPU4E=/1200x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-advancelocal.s3.amazonaws.com/public/ODJOMF7RP5HJRA3WS4PNIPFK4U.jpg

Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy issued his strongest threat yet Wednesday to New Jersey’s Democratic-controlled state Legislature: Without tax increases, I’m prepared to slash spending items you want.

In a letter to lawmakers, Murphy warned that if they continue with their current plan to send him a state budget that lacks his proposal to increase income taxes on the state’s millionaires, or if they don’t agree to raise any other taxes, then he’ll consider line-item vetoes on the Legislature’s $38.7 billion proposed budget.

Budget - Revenue - Spending - Murphy - Day

“So let me be clear, if this budget contains the revenue for your added spending, I will work with you,” Murphy wrote a day before the Legislature is set to vote on their budget.

“But if not, I will be forced to take corrective action,” the governor continued. “Tax fairness is an issue that will not go away on June 30.”

State - Budget - Date - Murphy - Order

A state budget must be enacted by that date. Otherwise, Murphy could order a state government shutdown.

The words “tax fairness” have been synonymous with Murphy’s main demand from lawmakers: A tax increase on those who earn more than $1 million a year.

Murphy - Door - Wednesday - Tax - Increases

But Murphy appeared to leave the door open Wednesday to discussing other tax increases that could avert slashes to lawmakers’ pet projects.

“The millionaires tax is a very crucial issue but it’s broader than that,” the governor said at an unrelated event in Westfield. “The bigger issue is really on the revenue side. It’s fuzzy math, it’s voodoo math and it’s not sustainable math."

Murphy - Reference - Math - Refers - Administration

Murphy’s reference to “fuzzy math" refers to his administration differences with the Legislature over how much money the state will collect in business taxes.

“And so whether it’s the millionaires, whether it’s the corporate responsibility fee, whether it’s the gun fee we discussed earlier, (or) whether it’s the opioid surcharge, we’ve not be given something that has sustainable, real,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: nj.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!