Jim Carrey on ‘Kidding,’ Cartoons, and Building a ‘Life Raft’ for People in Pain

IndieWire | 6/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/KIDDING_108_3998r.jpg

Right now, Jim Carrey is happy. Sitting on the set of “Kidding” Season 2, he’s just finished an “awesome” sequence that made him feel “like I’m just happy to be alive.”

But Carrey knows that feeling can’t last forever. Sure, he’s going to enjoy playing in the vast creative space of his Showtime series, and more good things will come after it. But Carrey said clinging to happiness at all times is an irrational impossibility; something fabricated on TV, and something he’s not interested in propagating himself.

Face - Joy - Joy - Freeze - Time

“We try to put as good a face on as as we can, and sometimes we actually experience real unfettered joy,” he said. “But to try to hold that joy and freeze it in time and have it never be anything else is a lie. It can never happen for anyone. […] Last night, I was sitting outside and I had a tangible feeling of, ‘Man, I’m really satisfied. I feel fantastic right now. I feel joyful.’ But I wasn’t deluding myself into thinking, ‘I’m just going to hang onto this forever.’ Because tomorrow, you get bad news, and you go down that part of the ride. Hopefully you recover from it as quick as you can, but that’s life, you know?”

Jim Carrey Doesn't Care If His Political Paintings Cost Him Fans: 'Lose Them'

Kidding - Show - Ideal - Show - Life

And that’s what he’s trying to capture in “Kidding.” Instead of making a show about an “ideal,” he wants to make a show about real life. Even though Dave Holstein’s comedy about a children’s show host named Mr. Pickles features magical daydreams, barrel rides over waterfalls, and plenty of puppets, it’s also about an optimistic father struggling to stay positive after the death of his son. Carrey’s Mr. Pickles — Jeff, to his friends and family — isn’t OK, even if he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!