NZ Launches Gun ‘Buy-Back’ Scheme For Weapons Banned After Christchurch Mosque Attacks

www.oann.com | 3/19/2019 | Staff
stefania (Posted by) Level 3
WELLINGTON (Reuters) – New Zealand’s government on Wednesday launched a multimillion-dollar, six-month “buy-back” scheme to compensate owners of powerful but newly banned semi-automatic weapons prohibited in the wake of deadly attacks on two mosques in the Southern city of Christchurch.

Finance Minister Grant Robertson and Minister of Police Stuart Nash said in a joint emailed statement that NZ$208 million ($135.97 million) had been set aside to compensate owners of the banned semi-automatic firearms up to 95% of the original cost.

Dec - Hand - Weapons

They would have until Dec. 20 to hand in their weapons.

“Police have detailed plans in place for the next step, which is the collection of firearms from the community. It will be a huge logistical exercise and is expected to get under way in mid-July,” Nash said.

Parliament - Gun - Reform - Law - Changes

Parliament passed the gun reform law – the first substantial changes to the country’s gun laws in decades – by a vote of 119 to 1 in April.

The vote came less than a month after its worst-ever peacetime mass shooting in which 51 people were killed and dozens injured in attacks on two mosques in Christchurch.

Curbs - Bar - Circulation - Use - Firearms

The new curbs bar the circulation and use of most semi-automatic firearms, parts that convert firearms into semi-automatic firearms, magazines over a certain capacity and some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Trump - Just saying what the rest won't
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!