I drove a $27,000 Final Edition of the VW Beetle to see if it lives up to its iconic history. Here's the verdict.

Business Insider | 6/19/2019 | Matthew DeBord
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5d0aa0db0a28493add16a01a-1920-960.jpg

I have a soft spot for the Beetle and have often thought about buying one as a backup car. I like that it's fairly rudimentary compared to more modern cars (although the Final Edition SEL came with a nice camera system plus park assist and blind-spot monitoring). I also like that it's small, yet not too small: it's easy to maneuver in the city but also big enough to handle the suburbs and not get pushed around on the freeway.

It would be the ideal vehicle for my retired self, puttering around the New Jersey 'burbs with jaunts to Manhattan and maybe the odd weekend road trip. Fuel economy is fixed-income friendly: 29 mpg city/33 highway/26 combined.

VW - Beetle - Family - Car - Context

The VW Beetle wouldn't work as a main family car outside of an urban context, but compared with other style-mobiles, such as the MINI Cooper and the Fiat 500, it's a worthwhile option to explore for singles and couples. The design annoys some, but there's no doubting its Bug-ness, so the car isn't trying to hide its lineage.

It's also pretty fun to drive. With less than 200 horsepower, you can get into everything the Beetle has to offer. The steering isn't terribly crisp, and the braking is sort of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!