Homes are left without power and roads flooded as thunderstorms lash Britain

Mail Online | 6/19/2019 | Mark Duell for MailOnline
red815 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/19/08/14974908-0-image-a-32_1560928963109.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/19/1121338193868468731/1024x576_MP4_1121338193868468731.mp4

Tens of thousands of lightning strikes hit Britain overnight as torrential rain and thunderstorms lashed parts of the country with severe weather continuing to cause chaos.

Homes were left without power and roads were flooded in parts of the South East, while the Kent village of Lenham saw 1.65in (42mm) of rain in the space of just one hour between 11pm and midnight last night.

Strikes - Coast - Kent - Towards - North

There were 41,500 lightning strikes off the coast of Kent towards North East France last night - including both cloud-to-surface and cloud-to-cloud - while there were 358 strikes that struck land on the county.

Photographs captured spectacular lightning in the skies over the South East, while Kent Police's Roads Policing Unit said the lightning was 'very active'. Eastbourne in East Sussex saw about 1,000 lightning strikes in an hour.

Sussex - Roads - Policing - Team - Storm

Sussex Roads Policing team described it as a 'spectacular electrical storm' but warned about 'significant flooding' on the A27 and A259 between Lewes and Hastings, adding: 'Power cuts also knowing traffic lights out.'

A yellow weather warning is in place for thunderstorms across much of the South East of England, including East Anglia, until 9pm today. Forecasters say further rain, hail and lightning could bring potential disruption to travel.

Ben - Williams - Storm - Ticehurst - East

Ben Williams, 31, who filmed the storm in Ticehurst, East Sussex, said: 'It was full-on, pretty much constant flashes of lightning and thunder at its peak. I've not seen a storm like last nights in the UK before.'

Susan Pilcher said: 'It was possibly the most amazing storm I have ever watched. I had seen lightning in the back garden and decided I had to go to Dungeness to watch it as it is so open there.

'I stayed from about 11pm to 1.30am with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!