How to Schedule your Volunteers

SundayU Magazine | 5/13/2019 | Carl Barnhill
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://sundaymag.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/bruno-nascimento-149663-unsplash.jpg

One of the keys to a dynamic Volunteer Team is scheduling your volunteers in such a way that there is a clear expectation of who is serving when. Planning is key. A ‘fly-by-your-seat, chasing down people to serve every week’ approach is a recipe for confusion and burnout – both for you and your volunteers.

Here are 4 steps to Providing an Easy-to-Understand Rotation Schedule:

On-Ramp - Volunteers - Team

Have a clear On-Ramp for Volunteers to get on your team.

My process at Newspring was:

Team - Approach

Use a Team Approach.

At the two churches I’ve served in a Media Leadership role, we moved our Production Volunteers to a Team Approach.

What do I mean by this?

-List the sets of services you have: for example, you may have Saturday Night Services, Sunday AM Services, Sunday PM Services, and a Mid-Week Service.

-List - Opportunities - Volunteer - Positions

-List out the Serving Opportunities or Volunteer Positions you have.

At Newspring’s Columbia campus, where I served, we had an AM Run-Thru and 2 AM Services and a PM Run-Thru and 2 PM Services.

Video - Volunteers

It took 10 video volunteers as well as:

Have your Teams serve for a Run-Thru and a Set of Services. Don’t have a new set of volunteers for every service.

Volunteers - Set - Services - Sets - Services

If you needed 10 volunteers to run a set of services and you had two sets of services on a Sunday (AM and PM), you would need two teams of 10 to run a Sunday,not 4.

I’ve found the sweet spot in rotating volunteers is to schedule them to serve once every three weeks. This gives other people opportunities to serve, and doesn’t allow over a month before someone serves at a position.

Rule - Volunteer - Sunday - People - Sunday

I would also suggest implementing a rule where a volunteer can’t serve every Sunday. If you don’t have enough people where you can’t do Sunday with someone, I would strongly encourage you to invite more volunteers into your team.

Secondly, you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SundayU Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!
Tagged: