On the Canonization of Anna Kolaserova and the concept of a “martyr for purity”

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 6/19/2019 | Staff
elio25 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-couple-on-mountain.jpg

News item from last summer that just washed up in my feed:

OXFORD, England – A 16-year-old peasant girl will be beatified as a martyr in Slovakia, seven decades after she was shot in front of her family for resisting rape by a drunken Soviet soldier.

Anna - Kolaserova - Layperson - Family - Sacraments

Anna Kolaserova “embodies the faithful layperson living in their family, regularly receiving sacraments, praying the rosary and approaching God through good works. Her heroic testimony, drawn from a sincere spiritual life, is something every Catholic and believer can aspire to,” Archbishop Bernard Bober of Kosice, Slovakia, told Catholic News Service Aug. 21.

He said honoring Kolaserova, whose “reputation for holiness” had inspired young Slovaks, would give the local church a unique chance for spiritual growth.

Story - Anna - Kolesarova - Message - Course

“The story of 16-year-old Anna Kolesarova offers a strong message, of course, for the younger generation,” he said.

“Celebrating the divine grace which was present in her life will enable us to gather the faithful, but also to reach the wider civil society,” Bober said. “Her story provides a spiritual response to today’s nostalgia for purity. It’s a message not confined to the younger generation, but one to move all faithful people.”

Servants - God - Lives - Christ - Slovak

“Servants of God who gave their lives for Christ in modern Slovak history were the victims of a totalitarian communist regime which suppressed religious freedom, and this will be the first layperson declared blessed,” he added.

Cardinal Giovanni Becciu, prefect of the Vatican’s Congregation for Saints’ Causes, was to beatify Kolaserova in Kosice Sept. 1. At least 30,000 Catholics are expected to attend the beatification in Lokomotiva Stadium.

First - Things - Gutsy - Lady - Church

First things first: I’m glad they canonized her. She sounds like a gutsy and good young lady and I love that the Church honors her bravery, her smarts, and her fierce resistance to the vile swine who murdered her. I also love that she is the symbol...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!