Why Your Creative Team Doesn’t Need a Budget

SundayU Magazine | 5/1/2019 | bcarneiro
samtetley (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://sundaymag.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/fabian-blank-78637-unsplash.jpg

Fifty dollars a month. That’s all a church in Seattle has decided to invest in communication.

Fifty dollars! (pause for dramatic effect…) A month!

Number - Church - Church - Times

The number may change from church to church, but I’ve heard it too many times.

No budget.

Summers - Husband - Year - Olds - Road

Three summers ago, my husband and I and our then 5 and 2 year olds decided to go on a 60-day road trip from Annapolis, MD to California and back. We visited many churches, and showed up at random small groups.

I was like a kid in a candy store. I can still remember my enthusiasm arriving at each church.

Spectrum - Churches - Websites - Media - Profiles

The spectrum of churches we visited was very wide. I started by checking their websites and social media profiles. Then parking lot signs and greeters. Kids ministry was next, shortly followed by main auditorium and kiosks and any other area available. Even restrooms.

I collected communication cards, connection cards, prayer cards, bulletins, brochures, first time visitors swag bags, and everything in between. You name it, anything printed was quickly consumed and packed away in my purse to study later.

Someone - Trip - Excitement - Ideas - Church

So, what does someone like me do when the trip is over and they are full of excitement and ideas about church communication?

Yes! Meet with my pastor. But my meeting was unsuccessful, and it was because of me.

I failed to communicate with him.

I found myself using vague arguments such as, “We need to be consistent.”

Tasks - Place - Time

Or “If we could just have all the tasks in one place so I don’t waste my time trying to figure out who is doing what”? Or worse, “That’s what other...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SundayU Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: