How No-Drama Discipline Helps Me Communicate with My Toddler

Parent Cue | 6/18/2019 | Leah Jennings
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/drama.jpg?fit=1920,1080&ssl=1

My toddler daughter, Arden, is very toddlery these days. And by toddlery, I mean I can’t help but look at the clock and wonder how in the world I’m supposed to make it to bedtime without us both collapsing in a puddle of tears. I’ve always been told the age of three is a whole new level of madness, only more cerebral and intense because now there are words—So. Many. Words.

Science tells us as toddlers’ emotional capacities grow, they tend to feel and express more frustration because they have a difficult time expressing all those newfound feelings. I get it, Science. I get it. Even though my daughter’s seemingly over-the-top reaction to things such as me spreading butter on her toast without her help can get under my skin, these moments are very real to her.

Matter - Reactions - Mark - Somehow - Times

But no matter how annoying these reactions are to me, I still felt like I was missing the mark somehow. Most times, I felt like, despite our age differences, we weren’t communicating well. That lack of communication would lead my daughter into an even more intense downward spiral that ended in the time out chair that never seemed to work.

Enter my lifesaver in the form of a book: No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind by Drs. Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson.

Core - No-Drama - Discipline - Theme - Kids

At the core of No-Drama Discipline is the recurring theme of engaging your kids rather than enraging them. When they’re at the heart of a meltdown, our gut reaction is to stop the meltdown by explaining why their behavior is irrational and not okay. But the book shares the root of the word ‘discipline’ is ‘disciple,’ or ‘to teach.’ When their emotions are heightened, this is the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!