Personal care products send a child to the ER every 2 hours, study finds

Mail Online | 6/17/2019 | Natalie Rahhal Deputy Health Editor For Dailymail.com
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/17/20/14902770-0-image-a-21_1560800897159.jpg

Every two hours, seemingly harmless products like cologne, nail polish and remover, lotion, shampoo and makeup send a child to the hospital, a new report found.

There's something undeniably cute about a child trying to act grown-up by spritzing themselves with cologne, or smudging mom's lipstick around their mouths.

Care - Products - Children - Chemical - Burns

But getting into personal care products also leaves over 4,300 children under five poisoned or suffering chemical burns every year, a new Nationwide Children's Hospital study estimates.

The report's authors are urging parents everywhere to keep their cosmetics and toiletries out of sight, out of reach, and in the containers they came.

Hope - Children - Products - Place - Picture

Their hope is that children won't be able to get to these products in the first place, but if they do, at least a picture on the package might signal to children that lotion is not, in fact, a tasty yogurt.

And, worse comes to worst, parents will be able to identify what personal care product their child has mistakenly gotten into.

Children - Products - Injuries - Rebecca - McAdams

'When you think about what young children see when they look at these products, you start to understand how these injuries can happen,' said Rebecca McAdams, study co-author.

'Kids this age can't read, so they don't know what they are looking at. They see a bottle with a colorful label that looks or smells like something they are allowed to eat or drink, so they try to open it and take a swallow.'

Percent - Children - Hospitals - Injuries - Years

About 60 percent of the children that wound up in hospitals with personal care-related injuries were under two years old, so they were just learning to speak, and a long way off from being able to read.

'When the bottle turns out to be nail polish remover instead of juice, or lotion instead of yogurt, serious injuries can occur,' McAdams added.

Nail - Remover

Nail polish remover seems...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!