URBAN FAITH Q&A WITH EMANUEL DIRECTOR BRIAN IVIE

Urban Faith | 6/17/2019 | Cassie Chew, Urban Faith Contributing Writer
ridge-khridge-kh (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://urbanfaith.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-6.15.30-PM.png

Growing up in Los Angeles, Brian Ivie dreamed of becoming a famous filmmaker. While enrolled in the School of Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California, he studied some of the most critically acclaimed Hollywood directors in pursuit of that goal. But a newspaper article about a pastor in one of the poorest districts in Seoul, South Korea, who built a Drop Box in his home for people to deposit unwanted babies with disabilities took him abroad to document that story. He came back to the U.S. realizing that he, like those babies, also needed to be saved.

Do you think your purpose as a filmmaker is to tell more nuanced stories of Christianity?

Africa - Tent - Serve - God - Hollywood

Well I think when I first became a Christian I figured you had to go to Africa and live in a tent and serve as a missionary, and then God called me back to Hollywood. I think that was something I really struggled with because I didn’t understand how that could be reconciled with my faith and what I wanted to do, which was to just tell people about God.

And, of course, as I know now, this is really the greatest way to do that because the houses of worship of our culture are really not churches, or temples or mosques, they’re YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. So my purpose, I would say changed way beyond movies, meaning that my heart now is to build God’s kingdom instead of building my own empire. That would be the truth even if I was a chef, or anything else, but I think when it comes to movies, it’s always something I knew wanted to do. I just didn’t know why. I didn’t know what stories I was going to tell. So now I think I’ve just committed to myself...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Urban Faith
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Millions in tribute, but not a penny left for charity.
Tagged: