Buttigieg: ‘I Hesistated’ to Be Transparent After Past Police Misconduct

Washington Free Beacon | 6/17/2019 | Nic Rowan
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/pete-stats.jpg

BY: Nic Rowan

After a South Bend police officer shot and killed a suspect in an investigation, Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) left the campaign trail to address the situation. Speaking at a late-night press conference on Sunday, Buttigieg admitted that in past instances of police misconduct, he "hesitated" to be transparent with the public.

Buttigieg - Comments - Response - Reporter - Question

Buttigieg's comments came in response to a reporter's question about the mayor's sometimes rocky relationship with the South Bend community, following his firing of the popular black Police Chief Darryl Boykins and the ensuing lawsuits still making their way through the courts.

"One of the reasons we're communicating upfront right now is because of lessons learned from members of the community," Buttigieg said of the latest shooting. "We've had prior cases of use of force incidents and officer involved shootings where I hesitated, frankly, to get in front of cameras, because I didn't know very much and it was out of our hands. But what I learned is it's important to open channels of communication, to try to be clear where the city is."

South - Bend - Police - Chief - Scott

South Bend Police Chief Scott Ruszkowski added that the community is "sickened" by the incident, which occurred early Sunday morning.

Police responded after receiving a call about a suspicious person rifling through cars, according to the St. Joseph prosecutor's office. One officer confronted 54-year-old Eric Jack Logan, who was black, in a vehicle in a parking lot in front of an apartment building. Logan left his vehicle and approached the officer with a raised knife. The officer opened fire on Logan, who died later that day in a hospital.

South - Bend - Police - Officers - Tasers

All South Bend patrolling police officers are required to carry Tasers, Ruskowski noted at the press conference.

During Buttigieg's tenure as mayor, both internal and external issues regarding race and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Washington Free Beacon
Wake Up To Breaking News!