Meet the bishop who weaves Gospel verses, art, and Tolkien into his ministry

Catholic News Agency | 1/28/2019 | Staff
jollyjetta (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Bishop_Daniel_Flores_of_Brownsville_delivers_the_Thomas_Aquinas_Day_Lecture_at_TAC_Jan_28_2019_Photo_courtesy_of_TAC_CNA.jpg

Baltimore, Md., Jun 17, 2019 / 03:01 am (CNA).- There are bishops who may or may not tweet with any regularity, and then there’s “Amigo de Frodo”, who provides daily Gospel verses, bits of art and literature, and maybe a Lord of the Rings quote or two at a Confirmation: Bishop Daniel Flores of Brownsville.

“As a bishop, I think Twitter—you shouldn’t take yourself too seriously,” Bishop Flores, who tweets under the handle @bpdflores, told CNA at the annual spring meeting of the U.S. bishops last week.

Platform - Challenge - Twitter - Kind - Voice

“It can be – it often isn’t – but it can be a humanizing platform. And I think the challenge, just for Catholic Twitter in general, is to kind of be a humanizing voice in it that’s respectful and that encourages and has imagination, and in a certain sense humor, in terms of how things can be.”

One thing that can be seen on the bishop’s account every single day is a Gospel verse from that day’s reading and a brief reflection, in Spanish and in English.

Catholic - Church - Problems - Issues - Gospel

“I do think, fundamentally, for the Catholic Church, before we can tackle the problems and the issues, if we aren’t fundamentally reading the Gospel every day and letting that inform how it is that we think and how it is that we see the world, then we’re not doing what we’re supposed to be doing in terms of being a people who are able to look at the world through the eyes of the Gospel, instead of judging the Gospel through the eyes of the world,” he said.

“So it’s just my way of saying ‘folks, we all need to be reading the Gospel, and then we can deal with reality’.”

Items - Bishops - Measures - Clergy - Abuse

Among the items discussed and voted upon by the bishops were measures to respond to the clergy abuse crisis, among them...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!