HOW TO LEAD THROUGH IMPERFECT CONDITIONS

CareyNieuwhof.com | 1/16/2017 | Staff
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/shutterstock_345950657.jpg?fit=1000,665&ssl=1

Let’s face it, you’d love to have ideal conditions to lead in. Who wouldn’t?

And while, ideally:

Life

Life isn’t like that. At all.

And yet it’s easy to get into a place where you’re hesitant to act, constantly frustrated and thinking of quitting because things never seem like they’re as easy as they should be.

Conditions - Leadership

Yet here’s what’s true: if you waiting for perfect conditions to act in leadership, you’ll wait forever.

I feel this again and again. Whether it’s writing this blog (every post could be better), launching a new podcast episode (what am I missing that could make it better) or writing a book (I don’t know if this chapter measures up), writing a sermon (this one isn’t as good as the last one) or hiring a team member (are we now over-staffed, understaffed???) conditions never seem ideal.

Cycling - Goal - Km - Year - Miles

I have that even with cycling. I’m trying to hit a goal of 3500 km this year (about 2000 miles), and every day I think of going it’s a little too windy/cold/wet/hot/busy for me to hit the road.

You know the best way to hit a goal of 3500 km? Ride whether you want to or not.

Ditto - Leadership - Things

Ditto with leadership. Lead whether you feel like it or not. Whether things are perfect or not.

Leaders have a bias for action and nothing produces traction like action.

Question - Conditions

The question is: how do you get there? What do you do if you’re still not sure conditions are right to act?

Here are a few things that continue to help me push through the inertia of life and leadership.

Leadership

It is so easy to focus on what you can’t control in leadership.

If you let your mind go there, there’s so much you can’t control. Here’s a very partial list of the things you can’t control:

List

Honestly, the list could go on and on.

Here’s what you can...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?
Tagged: