Virginia city council votes to remove historic auction block once used to sell black slaves

Mail Online | 6/14/2019 | Rod Ardehali For Dailymail.com
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/13/17/14750386-0-image-a-14_1560442036674.jpg

A Virginia city council has voted overwhelmingly to remove and relocate an auction block used to sell black slaves during the Antebellum era.

The historic site, which sits in downtown Fredericksburg, has a plaque in front of it that reads: 'Fredericksburg's Principal Auction Site in Pre-Civil War Days for Slaves and Property.'

Block - Point - Contention - Demonstrations - Charlottesville

But the block has become a point of contention following white nationalist demonstrations in Charlottesville, some 60 miles away, and on Tuesday the Fredericksburg City Council voted 6-1 to have it removed.

Some residents were against the move, however, arguing the auction block inspires important conversation about the history of racial injustices in America.

Tuesday - Hearing - Councilor - Charlie - L

During Tuesday's hearing, Councilor Charlie L. Frye said he was grateful to the city for engaging in the important debate about African American history.

'It has been good to have those peaceful conversations face-to-face among our citizens,' Frye said about discussing topics of race relations in the city.

'I - Community - Light - Coalition - Report

'I believe we have grown as a community, and in light of the Coalition's final report, I am...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...