‘Doctor Sleep’ Trailer Breakdown: Head Back to the Overlook Hotel With ‘The Shining’ Sequel

/Film | 6/13/2019 | Chris Evangelista
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/doctor-sleep-trailer-breakdown.jpg

Even though I’m the biggest Stephen King fan around these here parts, and a Mike Flanagan fan to boot, I’ve been highly skeptical of Doctor Sleep – Flanagan’s new film adaptation of King’s own sequel to The Shining. I found the book a bit disappointing, and wasn’t even sure how Flanagan could adapt it to the screen – since the version of The Shining most people are familiar with is Stanley Kubrick’s film, which deviates heavily from the source material.

So it is with great relief that I can report the newly released trailer for Doctor Sleep has completely won me over. This looks great. Flanagan is combining both King’s novel with elements of Kubrick’s film, and it appears he’s created a must-see in the process. Below, I’ll extract some of the film’s secrets with a Doctor Sleep trailer breakdown. I promise I’ll keep this as spoiler-free as possible.

Doctor - Sleep - Trailer - Hand - Nothing

The Doctor Sleep trailer doesn’t tip its hand right away. There’s nothing here to indicate what the movie is, or that it has anything to do with The Shining. And yet…there’s a subtle hint, if you’re really looking. First we see a childish HELLO scrawled on a wall. Cut to Ewan McGregor, sporting a painfully fake beard (my only real qualm with this trailer), gazing at the message. Herein lies the hint: the shot of McGregor’s character sitting on the bed is a one-point perspective shot. Stanley Kubrick was famous for using these symmetrical shots, and several of them appear in The Shining. It’s a nice little wink to the audience, teasing what’s to come.

McGregor, sans fake beard, continues getting messages. He even writes one back. All is well, all is playful. What a pleasant movie this must be! But then…McGregor’s sleep is interrupted when his wall explodes.

Doctor - Sleep - Trailer

At last, the Doctor Sleep trailer...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into"--Jonathan Swift