‘Turn Up Charlie’ Star Frankie Hervey on Building a Bond With Idris Elba

Variety | 6/13/2019 | Dano Nissen
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/frankie-hervey-turn-up-charlie.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

An entertainer taking a kid under his wing describes both the premise of “Turn Up Charlie” and the real-life relationship between actors Frankie Hervey and Idris Elba. In the Netflix series, Hervey plays Gabrielle, a spoiled girl in need of proper parenting, and Elba is the titular Charlie, a struggling DJ moonlighting as the girl’s nanny. Having no previous acting credits, Hervey was understandably nervous in taking on the gig. But under Elba’s tutelage, she gained confidence and inspiration to act more in the future. In the sixth episode, which takes place at a music festival, the duo’s relationship hits a major emotional inflection point.

Hervey: “It was my first job and it was completely nerve-wracking. I’ve done a lot of school plays. There were four rounds of auditions. They asked me how I was, and I said I was honestly quite freaked out. But when I met Idris, it was really amazing. He made me feel really confident. Off set we talk a lot. We hang out a lot. He really treated me...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!