‘Doctor Sleep’ Director Explains How He Got Approval from Both Stephen King and the Kubrick Estate [Q&A]

/Film | 6/13/2019 | Ben Pearson
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Screen-Shot-2019-06-13-at-12.18.44-PM-768x412.jpg

Mike Flanagan, the director of Oculus, Hush, Gerald’s Game, and The Haunting of Hill House, has crafted plenty of cinematic moments that have left audiences with their hearts pounding. But his upcoming film Doctor Sleep, which is both an adaptation of Stephen King‘s sequel to The Shining and a continuation of the story told in Stanley Kubrick‘s 1980 horror classic, gave Flanagan “the two most nerve-wracking moments of [his] entire career” – getting approval from both King himself and Kubrick’s estate.

That’s no small feat, considering King’s opinion about Kubrick’s movie, and in a Q&A in West Hollywood yesterday afternoon, Flanagan and his producer Trevor Macy talked about striking that balance, recreating some of Kubrick’s iconic visuals, and much more.

Warner - Bros - Trailer - Premiere - Yesterday

Warner Bros. invited us to a trailer premiere yesterday before it was unveiled to the public this morning, and Flanagan answered some questions from a moderator and a small group of journalists about his experience working on this movie, how it’s all about cycles of addiction and recovery, and much more.

I’ve covered a lot of these Q&As in my career, but this was the first time I’ve walked away from one thinking that the entire discussion was so good, that readers need to experience it. So while I did transcribe some of Flanagan’s answers below for those who don’t have a lot of time, I decided to publish the full audio from the Q&A so you can hear him talk about the film yourselves. He’s an incredibly smart guy who knows his **** when it comes to King and Kubrick, and I was so impressed with how he handled all of these questions that I wanted you all to be able to experience the same thing I did.

Sections - Q - A - Answers

Below, you can read some sections of the Q&A that I transcribed. All answers come...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!