Another Look: A More Grounded Gospel

internetmonk.com | 6/8/2019 | Chaplain Mike
Note from CM: Back in 2015, I was reading the book mentioned below, and offered this post as part of my response to what I was absorbing from it. I’ve edited this in an update for today.

And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

News - God - Charge - World - Jesus

The good news is that the one true God has now taken charge of the world, in and through Jesus and his death and resurrection.

When I was in the midst of reading N.T. Wright’s book, Simply Good News: Why the Gospel Is News and What Makes It Good, I found that my perception of the gospel became more grounded.

Wright - Point - Gospel - Announcement - Event

Wright’s big point is that the gospel is an announcement of a public event that has taken place, an event which has changed everything.

It is not advice or instruction given to us, it is a proclamation that Jesus has become King, that God has taken charge of the world through the finished work of the Messiah.

God - Rule - Justice - Peace - World

God has established his rule of justice and peace in the world. God’s enemies have been defeated and will not win the war.

The resurrection, ascension, and outpouring of the Spirit means that the new era has begun. It’s a new day. The divine process of transforming the world has begun in earnest.

Announcement - Gospel - News - Part - Transformation

The announcement of this gospel invites all who hear it to embrace the good news and become part of the transformation. “If anyone is in Christ — new creation!” (2Cor. 5:17, literal translation). The person herself becomes renewed, but even more than that, she becomes part of God’s new creation here and now, right in the midst of this present life. Through baptism she dies to the old creation...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: