More about Gay Marriage, Progressive Churches, and Plural Marriage

Roger E. Olson | 6/10/2019 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/21/2017/01/uZYSV4nuQeyq64azfVIn_15130980706_64134efc6e_o_opt.jpg

If you have not read my immediately preceding post/essay about plural marriage, you must go back and read it before responding to this one which is a continuation or possibly a lengthy footnote to it.

It has never been proven that every plural marriage is bad for women or children. Some obviously are. So are some monogamous marriages. But it is obviously conceivable that a plural marriage might be truly mutual.

Christians - World - Marriages - United - States

There are Christians in the world involved in plural marriages and it is inevitable that some will immigrate to the United States and Canada, Australia, etc. (where most of my readers reside). Some people “in the know” have already informed me about this and say it is already happening even if “under the radar.”

Many people who read my previous blog post misinterpreted it. It was not at attack on or critique of welcoming and affirming churches (those that have chosen to affirm gay marriages as valid for them). It was a question to leaders of welcoming and affirming churches about how they will respond when Christians involved in plural marriage ask them to affirm their marriages.

Commenter - Comment - Post/essay - Question

Contrary to what one would-be commenter said (I didn’t post his comment because he was entirely wrong), my post/essay did not amount to “assailment by entailment.” I was merely asking a question, not accusing or assailing.

I think it is always a good idea, when making a major change, to consider its possible and likely consequences. I am not confident that welcoming and affirming churches have done that. I’m asking them to now stop and consider and ask themselves what reason they will give to Christians involved in plural marriages (who otherwise fit their membership requirements) if they decline to affirm their marriages as valid and admit them to full membership and even leadership.

Years

Over my many years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger E. Olson
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: