I Am Mother review: Netflix sci-fi chiller is one bad mama

CNET | 6/8/2019 | Richard Trenholm
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/GIuQHPpjiG5H0g7XbTJPfj2oAb8=/2019/01/22/625660d2-282c-4b12-83bc-fb70173eab4f/sundance-2019-45120032565-7213792eaa-o-i-am-mother.jpg

In the movies, we've seen some terrifying robots that are seriously bad mothers. So for once, let's meet a robot that's actually a good mom.

Or so I Am Mother would like you to think.

Film - Sundance - Film - Festival - January

The film premiered at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival in January, and is now streaming on Netflix. Evoking taut, contained sci-fi thrillers like Alien and Moon, the flick introduces us to a new robot on the list of sinister cinematic droids. Named simply "Mother," this maternal mechanoid is tasked with one simple job: raising the last human left alive after an apocalyptic cataclysm wipes out the human race.

Mother hangs out in a sealed bunker with only 630,000 frozen embryos for company, all stowed in the deep freeze to repopulate Earth in case of disaster. In the movie Alien, a clear inspiration, the computer is known as Mother too, but that was just metaphorical. Here, the mechanical mammy is an actual hands-on parent.

Mother

Don't mess with Mother.

The film opens with Mother breaking open an egg and birthing the first of those stored humans, followed by a bravura opening sequence as we see Mother nurture the little 'un from howling baby to giggling toddler to curious child, all in the space of the opening credits. It's like Wall-E meets the first 10 minutes of Up meets Matilda, and it boldly sets the tone for just how smart this movie is, and how well thought out the world of the bunker is.

Shot - Gray - Scarlet - Palette - Bunker

Shot in an ominous gray and scarlet palette, the bunker is a closed-off location bursting with drama. Writer Michael Lloyd Green and director Grant Sputore wring tension from the shut-in situation. Is Mother really the nurturing figure she says? What's really outside? And how will Mother react if her Daughter turns against her?

Don't treat Clara Rugaard like a baby.

Decked out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: