TOM UTLEY: Publicity hungry politicians are pulling a fast one 

Mail Online | 6/7/2019 | Tom Utley for the Daily Mail
jolan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/06/23/14477828-0-image-a-22_1559861463284.jpg

My tip for making yourself the most unpopular motorist on the road is to try driving at precisely 20 mph, in good visibility and with no traffic ahead.

Before you know it, there will be a queue of cars tailgating, flashing their lights, honking their horns and attempting to overtake at hair-raising moments.

Colleague - Test - Teenage - Daughter - Police

Indeed, a colleague tells me that, shortly after passing her test, his teenage daughter was pulled over by the police for obeying a 20 mph speed limit — and given a stern rebuke for putting other road users at risk by driving too slowly!

The poor girl was mortified. She was only trying to be good. I suspect it is not a mistake she will make again.

Drivers - Attention - Mph - Limits - Neck

Certainly, very few drivers pay much attention to the 20 mph limits that have been popping up everywhere in my neck of the South London woods — ‘like spring daffodils’, in the words of an AA spokesman. I’m thinking, needless to say, of those increasingly rare occasions when traffic conditions allow us to drive any faster than a crawl.

The fact is that the average speed in the centre of the capital — the country’s most congested city and the sixth-worst in the world — is now down to an agonisingly sluggish 7.4 mph, whatever speed limit may apply.

Drivers - London - Average - Hours - Year

This means drivers in London spend an average 227 hours a year stuck in jams, belching toxic fumes from their exhausts. Other UK cities are little better.

But none of this has stopped the virtue-signalling Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan — who seems to get a buzz out of annoying people — from attempting to slow the traffic even further.

Week - Vision - Zero - Scheme - Consultation

This week, under the dramatically named Vision Zero scheme, he launched a consultation on lowering the limit to 20 mph on all roads in the capital’s central congestion zone...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!