When Prayer Is Something Else Altogether

internetmonk.com | 6/1/2019 | Chaplain Mike
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Note from CM: I will moderate closely today. Mind your Ps and Qs.

Sunday’s event is a near-perfect embodiment of political evangelicalism in the Age of Trump: It blends Christian nationalism, the idea that the United States has a special place in God’s plans and Trump is God’s agent; social media, where it’s hard to separate the wheat of grassroots support from the chaff of Russian bots; and it has seriously irked Christians who say Graham and others have sold their souls for a mess of political pottage.

Franklin - Graham - Pearl - Price - Welfare

[Franklin Graham] has found his pearl of great price — the political welfare of Donald Trump — and has sold everything else to buy it.

I preached at a local church this past Sunday. Before the service, one of the women I know came up to me and asked me to pray specifically for President Trump in the service. She handed me a press release from Franklin Graham, beseeching Christians to make that Sunday a special day of prayer for our president, who “is under attack” and needs special spiritual protection “from his enemies.”

Problem - President - Leaders - Lutheran - Church

I have no problem praying for the president, along with all public leaders. In our Lutheran church, the prayers that are prepared for each Sunday always include a section in which we intercede on behalf of them, that they might have wisdom and work for justice and peace in our world. This is a clear N.T. instruction in 1 Timothy 2. So, when I led the pastoral prayer in this other church last Sunday, I prayed for President Trump by name and I prayed for our congressional representatives, our state and local leaders, and governmental leaders around the world, mentioning that we live in a time of political turmoil, and asking God to guide and help all of them.

I’m not sure if...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: