‘I Am the Night’ Costume Designer on Collaborating With Patty Jenkins, Chris Pine

Variety | 6/6/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
iceyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/rhona-meyers-i-am-the-night-cosutme-designer-2.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“I Am The Night” costume designer Rhona Meyers is no stranger to female-centric stories in which the look of a character helped inform who that person was. She previously worked on films such as “Erin Brockovich” and “Monster,” for example. But the TNT limited series was her first foray into longer-form storytelling on the small screen and came with the new challenges of television’s “intense” pace, as well as having to find and make clothes reminiscent of multiple decades.

How did you get your start in costumes?

Arts - UCLA - Music - Video - Director

I was a fine arts major at UCLA and I worked on a music video where the director then wanted me to act in a commercial he was doing, and they called me in, but I completely blew the audition. They said the costume department needed some help, and that was my first wardrobe job, and I have been doing it ever since.

What made you want to stay in that field?

Idea - Film - Camaraderie - Collaboration - Punk

I loved the whole idea of the film camaraderie and collaboration. I was just gung-ho. I was a punk rocker, and when I first started there was a lot of vintage shopping. I was really good at doing characters. It just felt right, so that was it.

“I Am The Night” is based on a real-life woman, Fauna Hodel. Was there a particular piece you felt really captured her essence?

Coat - Character - Pieces - Wardrobe - Day

I purchased this red coat for one of [the character’s] primary pieces of wardrobe. We had already been shooting with it, and one day Yvette, who’s one of Fauna’s daughters, was on set talking about how she was at [her grandmother] Jimmy Lee’s house when she was about 3-years-old and Jimmy Lee was drunk and kicked her out of the house. She was like, “I didn’t know where I was going; I don’t know where I am,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!