Valedictorian's mic cut off when she mentions killed black teenagers Trayvon Martin and Tamir Rice

Mail Online | 6/6/2019 | Associated Press;Leah Simpson For Dailymail.com
rubydrummer (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/06/22/14474768-0-image-a-2_1559856192953.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/06/4212614241725362476/1024x576_MP4_4212614241725362476.mp4

School officials in Dallas, Texas say they're investigating why a high school valedictorian had her graduation speech interrupted after she said the names of Trayvon Martin and Tamir Rice.

Emmett J. Conrad High School valedictorian Rooha Hagharmehdiabadi said a school administrator ordered her mic to be shut off during her speech Saturday.

Video - Mic - Kids - Mass - Shootings

In a video she says before her mic goes silent: 'To the kids that were murdered in senseless mass shootings. To Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice and all the other children who became victims ...'

She is then seen tapping the device as she realizes it doesn't work and fellow students begin to cheer her on.

Seconds - Principal - Temesghen - Asmerom - Throat

Just seconds before Principal Temesghen Asmerom is seen pinching his throat as he looks at someone off to the side. He then gives a thumbs up signal and waits a few moments for Hagharmehdiabadi's reaction.

Hagharmehdiabadi heads back to her seat on the stage as the principal comes along, taps the mic - which immediately begins working again - and takes the lead. He says 'sorry for the mic' and Hagharmehdiabadi doesn't return to the podium.

Asmerom - Someone

Asmerom invites someone else to speak instead.

Hagharmehdiabadi says she was previously told that her speech shouldn't be political.

Officers - Cleveland - Tamir - Neighborhood - Watch

Officers in Cleveland fatally shot 12-year-old Tamir in 2014. A neighborhood watch volunteer shot 17-year-old Martin in 2012. Both were black.

Hagharmehdiabadi says she mentioned them because their deaths are 'a reality that black families have to deal with.' She posted video of the speech on Twitter.

Speech - I - Names - Children - Victims

'My valedictorian speech was cut short because i said the names of black children who had become victims of police brutality,' she captioned the clip. 'Our principal signaled for my mic to be turned off as soon as i said “trayvon martin and tamir rice” and played it off as a technical difficulty. pathetic.'

Hagharmehdiabadi plans to attend...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!