New York Times scribe has big problem with 'New South' – it's full of backward church people

GetReligion | 6/2/2019 | Terry Mattingly
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c2df7ae4b0d215dded86fd/536fab69e4b00b0fd2515399/5ce464ce9a8f4d000150c82d/1559494605441/Screen+Shot+2019-05-21+at+5.02.41+PM.png?format=1500w

To be honest, I had shoved the Ginia Bellafante feature at The New York Times — “Abortion and the Future of the New South” — so far fact into the “think piece” folder of guilt that I almost forgot that this “Big City” masterpiece still existed.

In this case, the term “masterpiece” is defined as a piece of first-person journalism that has to be in the running as one of the greatest summary statements of Gray Lady-speak ever put on paper.

Rod - Benedict - Option - Dreher - Brooklyn

I mean, Rod “Benedict Option” Dreher — a former Brooklyn resident — had already produced this truly fab summary statement of what’s going on here. Before we get to the latest response to the Bellafante opus — at Scalawag, hold that thought — let’s let Dreher kick off this thinker-fest:

I’m so sorry. Really, just very sorry. Here entitled Yankees like the NYT’s Ginia Bellafante thought the American South existed to give Millennial Brooklynites a place to reproduce Park Slope, but more affordably, and now we’ve gone and ruined it for them with our deplorable social and religious views.

Ah - Stuff - Things - Tess - New

Ah, right. All that icky religious stuff. That really messes things up for “Tess” and other relocated New Yorkers. Here is the essential Times-talk overture:

Tess wanted her own kingdom, and New York — forbidding, impossible — wasn’t going to let her build it. The start-up costs for the baking and catering business she envisioned were going to be too high; the rent on her apartment in Bed-Stuy was increasing. When she moved in it was $1,800 a month; just a few years later, it was approaching $3,400.

Woman - Citizen - New - South - Business

This young woman was a citizen of the New South now. Her business, Tess Kitchen, was thriving. Her New Orleans apartment, at $1,900 a month, had three bathrooms.

I called Tess on the day that the Louisiana House Health...
(Excerpt) Read more at: GetReligion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...