Lit firecracker is thrown onto New York Subway train and mistaken for gunshots causing mass panic and a stampede

Mail Online | 5/31/2019 | Leah Simpson For Dailymail.com
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/31/18/14207452-0-image-a-40_1559323390234.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/05/31/3104358275372792998/1024x576_MP4_3104358275372792998.mp4

Commuters in New York were sent into a panic on Friday morning after a firecracker sparked worry that Subway riders were under attack.

Passengers on the F train at 23rd Street Station in Manhattan were in fear for their lives when someone reportedly lit the explosive and tossed it into the train before escaping in 'maniacal laughter'.

Incident - Place - Carriage - Law - Enforcement

The incident took place in a rear carriage and law enforcement is looking into whether the perpetrator or perpetrators were actually on the train.

But many who heard the crackle and boom around 9.30am had no idea what was going on in the heat of the moment. Some left their belongings - including valuables, bags and even shoes - as some mistakenly believed a gun was involved.

Video - Footage - Witness - Carriages

Video footage from witness showed cramped carriages attempting to disperse. 'Stop pushing! We’re all trying to get off,' one is heard screaming.

Passenger Amelia Vogler wrote on Twitter afterwards that there was 'maniacal laughter from perpetrator' as the explosive was tossed into car 9342 at the back of the train nearby the stairs for access to the busy L train.

Ear - Incident - Mortality - Summer - Friday

'My left ear is messed up now,' she said about the loud incident. 'Nothing makes you contemplate your own mortality on a Summer Friday commute more than an explosive device being thrown mere inches from you in a subway car.'

Others who had no idea what caused the chaos, assumed it was gunfire.

Passengers - Service - Dog - Frightening - Incident

Passengers reported seeing a service dog caught up in the frightening incident.

'Two Subway cars of people just stampeded into the car I was on (F train) as it pulled into 23rd. People terrified, crying, hollering "GUN!", crushing forward towards the doors, panicked. I helped people in front of me get out, tried to protect them from the push from behind,' one man posted on Twitter.

'I

'I got pushed down...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!