Matthew Vaughn Reveals Scuttled Plans for His ‘X-Men’ Trilogy Following ‘First Class’

Collider | 5/30/2019 | Adam Chitwood
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/x-men-dofp-hugh-jackman.jpg

Filmmaker Matthew Vaughn has been plenty busy building out his own Kingsman franchise over the last few years, but once upon a time he was poised to direct multiple X-Men movies. The first X-Men film he was attached to was X-Men: The Last Stand, but he backed out before production began. He eventually directed 2011’s X-Men: First Class, which successfully rebooted the series and introduced a new, younger ensemble, but while he was originally set to helm the follow-up, he backed out and Bryan Singer returned to spearhead X-Men: Days of Future Past instead.

Vaughn has previously revealed that he intended to make a different X-Men movie in between First Class and Days of Future Past—one that would introduce a new, younger Wolverine—and now he’s offering more details on the X-Men trilogy we never saw.

ComingSoon - Vaughn - Fox - Decision - Days

Speaking with ComingSoon, Vaughn specifically cites Fox’s decision to make Days of Future Past the direct sequel to First Class as one of the reasons he left the franchise:

“That’s one of the reasons I didn’t continue, because they didn’t listen to me. My plan was First Class, then second film was new young Wolverine in the 70s to continue those characters, my version of the X-Men. So you’d really get to know all of them, and my finale was gonna be Days of Future Past. That was gonna be my number three where you bring them all… because what’s bigger than bringing in McKellen and Michael and Stewart and James and bringing them all together?”

Ton - Sense - Vaughn - Fox - Screenplay

That makes a ton of sense. But Vaughn continues, noting that once Fox saw his screenplay for Days of Future Past, the studio wanted to make that movie next:

“When I finished the Days of Future Past script with it ready to go I looked at it and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.