FOLLOW SUNDAYU

SundayU Magazine | 5/28/2019 | Robert Carnes
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.sundaymag.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/julian-gentilezza-414681-unsplash.jpg

Millennials are apparently obsessed with a lot of things—self-care, self-improvement, food, ego travel (whatever that is), and nostalgia just to name a few. However, millennials are not obsessed with the church, as evidenced by the fact that they’re leaving Christianity in droves.

We live in a millennial-obsessed culture. Millennials are not only the largest generation, but also the most over-analyzed and highly scrutinized. The fact that this article is so peppered with hyperlinks speaks to this obsession. Just Google ‘millennial obsession’ and you’ll find (just like I did) an overwhelming number of articles and opinions on the subject.

Part - Culture - Church - Generation - Pastors

As a part of culture, the church is also pretty obsessive about the millennial generation. Some pastors are sorry about it. Some are just convinced this generation is selfish and entitled. At least one pastor doesn’t really care that millennials are leaving the church. But even the fact that nearly everyone has an opinion about millennials is just further evidence of the obsession.

Either way, most millennials are just fed up with the church’s attitude towards us. We don’t want to be examined like mice rats. Or stereotyped. Or feared. Or belittled. Or blamed. Or cottled. Mostly, my generation just wants to be treated like normal people.

Plenty - Reasons - Millennials - Church - Church

There are plenty of reasons why millennials are leaving the church. But church leaders shouldn’t change these things about their churches just for millennials. If your church isn’t providing a path to Jesus or meaningful community, what are you doing anyway? The more desperately churches try to pander to millennials, the more we’ll be turned off by your inauthenticity.

I frequently hear church leaders talk about how all millennials think or feel a certain way. What that really means is that they read an article (or saw an article headline) explaining a generalized trend. And they believe that’s made them...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SundayU Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: