In Peril on the Sea: My Memorial Day Story

Juicy Ecumenism | 5/22/1968 | Faith McDonnell
DebraS (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://juicyecumenism.com/wp-content/uploads/Scorpion-3-e1401078434261.jpg

This is my Memorial Day story. Every year I may update it and add something new or remove something old, but I do not write another article for Memorial Day, because this is my story. This comes from the memories and the heart of 10 year old girl. It was the birth of my love for the United States Armed Forces. It is my requiem for those who have given their lives in service for America – especially for the men on the U.S.S. Scorpion.

For those in peril on the sea.

Bikes - Town - Men - American - Flags

Whenever the bikes roll into town, ridden largely by bandana-coiffed, leather-vested men prominently displaying American flags, I remember my brief childhood experience with U.S. forces that fought in the Vietnam War. These may be senior citizens with paunches, but I see the young, extremely clean cut young men of 50 years ago and I search for Dennis.

I never find Dennis. I don’t really expect to. Dennis didn’t live long enough to become a veteran and ride a Harley in the National Memorial Day Parade. He went down with the ship, along with the other 98 crewmen of the USS Scorpion, a nuclear submarine that was lost on May 22, 1968. The Scorpion was one of only two nuclear submarines that have been lost. The other was the USS Thresher, which was lost April 10, 1963. There is still no definitive answer as to why the Scorpion sank, but its wreckage was found on the ocean floor at a depth of almost 10,000 feet.

Sister - Mom - Mother - Servicemen - Basement

If I was like a little sister, Mom was definitely like a mother to the servicemen. She presided over the basement luncheonette counter and a dozen or so table and chair sets where the “boys” could get free coffee and tea, cold drinks, doughnuts, and what seemed to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Juicy Ecumenism
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: