Yes, you can get throat gonorrhea

Popular Science | 5/24/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/opengraph_1_91x1/public/images/2019/05/depositphotos_237362832_l-2015_1.jpg?itok=QXODwFht

Click For Photo: https://www.popsci.com/sites/popsci.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2019/05/depositphotos_237362832_l-2015_1.jpg?itok=BhhA2qMa

On Thursday, the Food and Drug Administration cleared the first diagnostic tests for extragenital testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea. In other words, these are the first gonorrhea and chlamydia tests where doctors can swab for samples somewhere other than your genitals. Options are great, but you might wonder why a doctor would choose to go looking for sexually transmitted infections in the throat or rectum when a urine sample is all you need to detect them. The answer, friends, is that your genitals are not the only places you can get sexually transmitted infections. Yes, it’s that time of year again: the time of year when Rachel Ann Feltman logs on to remind you that throat gonorrhea is a thing.

This isn’t meant to shame or embarrass anyone who had, has, and/or will have throat gonorrhea (or rectal gonorrhea, or good old-fashioned genital gonorrhea). Nay; the point is that so-called sexually transmitted infections can happen to anyone having any kind of sex, even if it involves a condom or doesn’t include penetration.

Everything - Microbes

Here’s everything you need to know about these migrating microbes:

Wait, I can get gonorrhea in my throat?

Butt - Chlamydia - Throat - Butt - Chlamydia

Yes, and also in your butt. You can also get chlamydia in your throat and butt, but throat chlamydia just doesn’t have the same ring to it. The CDC has a helpful list of all the places on your body you might get an initial infection of various STIs, but the big takeaway is simple: Even people who always use condoms can get STIs, pretty much every STI can (at least in rare circumstances) be transmitted by unprotected oral sex, and STIs can show symptoms on parts of your body you wouldn’t expect.

Why is this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Popular Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .
Tagged: