MeToo Turns into Leavers?

Jesus Creed | 5/23/2019 | Staff
hakimi308hakimi308 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2019/05/Screen-Shot-2019-05-22-at-5.15.11-PM-205x300.png

This piece fascinated me for one significant reason: I did research one time on why evangelicals leave the church, or abandon their faith, and along with Hauna Ondrey, published it in a study of how various conversions occur — find the study of apostasy in Finding Faith, Losing Faith.

I read hundreds of stories, and not one had anything to do with sexual abuse. Now we learn that 10% of 35 and unders have left church over this issue and 5% of all churchgoers have left over sexual abuse issues.

Study - Study - Stats - Variations - Permutations

My study was not a scientific or sociologically based study with all the stats and variations and permutations, but I read lots and lots of stories that I found, plus I read a number of books on the topic.

So, what to think? First, the MeToo and ChurchToo movements have brought this to the fore and especially the victims very well may walk from the faith. Family members of such persons too. Second, churches and church leaders did not bring this to the fore: activists on social media did. That alone cut a deep gash in church credibility. Third, this new study reported by Shellnutt demonstrates once again that sexual abuse is awful, it is too common, it victimizes innocent people, those people are further victimized by denials and spinning stories told by leaders and churches, and sexual abuse destroys the witness and credibility of gospel and church.

Kate - Shellnutt - Report - CT

From Kate Shellnutt’s report in CT:

According to a new study sponsored by LifeWay Christian Resources, 10 percent of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Tagged: