Dear Church Member, Your Shepherd Is Also a Sheep

The Gospel Coalition | 5/23/2019 | Staff
n.king (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/22203749/Dear-Church-Member-Your-Shepherd-Is-Also-a-Sheep.jpg

I was trying not to cry as I spoke into the receiver, but I couldn’t hold it in. The tears came, and as a 30-year-old man, I cried into the phone like a 10-year-old boy. It wasn’t pretty. I was speaking with my 60-year-old mentor, and I experienced a great sense of relief as I opened my heart to him.

Also, I’m a pastor. Does that strike you as odd in light of my above experience? Does it change your perception of me? Pastors aren’t superheroes. To be sure, God-called men are meant to be models of Christian maturity, but mature sheep are still sheep. They need a shepherd (1 Pet. 5:4).

Experience - Pastor - Pressure - Man - Fear

As I’ve gained experience as a pastor, I feel little pressure to be a perfectly polished man. Sure, I wrestle with fear of man and other ungodly emotions, but I’ve learned to not hide my brokenness. It serves no point. God sees it, and it will come to light eventually (Luke 8:17). Why not get ahead of it and watch God use the church to help me grow in sanctification?

With all this mind, below are some brief thoughts for both church members and pastors.

Church - Member - Pastor - World - Qualifications

Church member, your pastor lives in the same fallen world you do. He must meet the moral qualifications of a shepherd (1 Pet. 5:1–5; 1 Tim. 3:1–7; Titus 1:5–9), but there will be times when he cries out with Paul, “O wretched man that I am, who will rescue me from this body of death?” (Rom. 7:24). When your pastor experiences such emotions, pray for him and love him well.

Your pastor is a shepherd, but he’s still a sheep.

Pastor - Shepherd - Sheep - Conferences - Workshops

Your pastor is a shepherd, but he’s still a sheep. You can serve him by making sure he’s able to attend conferences, workshops, and pastoral groups that will build...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!